2019 Curriculum Programs & Academic Advising
SCHS Overview of Curriculum Programs & Academic Advising Timelines for 2019-2020
Thursday, January 17 — Parent Evening Program: (Snow Date: Wednesday, January 23)
5:30pm - 6:30pm
- Rising 9th Grade Student/Parent Orientation (Auditorium): Student Services staff will present information to help students transition to high school. A panel of current students and teachers will provide specific information. Tours of the school will be available.
- Rising 10th, 11th, and 12th Curriculum/Postsecondary Planning Program (Cafeteria): Parents will learn how to access Family Connections and learn about post-secondary options for students. We will explore college admissions’ criteria and the SAT/ACT registration process.
- Introduction to AP Courses (Silver Box): Our AP Coordinator, Mary Engels, will present an overview of Advanced Placement (AP) courses. This presentation will include expectations, time commitments, and progression of AP courses.
6:30pm - 7:45pm
- Curriculum Evening Program (Main Halls on 1st Floor): Students and parents will review materials and talk with teachers, department chairs, school counselors, and administrators about course offerings and scheduling choices.
- SCHS Clubs and Activities Fair (Cafeteria): Families will learn about the many clubs and activities available to students. Students and coaches will be available to answer questions.
Pizza and drinks will be available for purchase outside the cafeteria throughout the evening.
Thursday, January 17 and Friday, January 18 — Academic Days of Emphasis
Teachers will meet individually with students during class to discuss course level options.
Grade Level Curriculum Meetings (Large Group)
School counselors will meet with students in large groups to present information about course offerings, sequencing, prerequisites for specific courses, and graduation requirements.
- Monday, January 14 (9:15 am): Rising 9th grade (Middle School)
- Wednesday, January 9 and Friday, January 11 (Advisory): Rising 12th grade (Auditorium)
- Tuesday, January 29 and Thursday, January 31 (Advisory): Rising 11th grade (Auditorium)
- Wednesday, February 20 and Friday, February 22 (Advisory): Rising 10th grade (Auditorium)
Academic Advising Conferences (Individual)
School counselors meet individually with their students to assist them in exploring their academic and postsecondary/career goals. Students will review their transcripts and select their courses for next school year.
- Monday, January 14 through Monday, January 28: Rising 12th grade (Social Studies)
- Tuesday, February 5 through Tuesday, February 12: Rising 11th grade (PE)
- Monday, February 25 through Friday, March 1: Rising 10th grade (PE)