Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
Attendance and active participation in class are crucial to a student’s academic achievement and to the opportunity to realize his or her full potential, from kindergarten through high school.
School begins promptly at 8:10 AM (warning bell at 8:05 AM) and ends at 2:55 PM. Students are expected to attend every class or activity for which they are scheduled each school day. Specifically, this means that students must attend all classes; report to the cafeteria during their assigned lunch; go to the designated area of the school for assemblies, pep rallies, and other special events; and be punctual. FCPS requires that a call or note be received from a parent or guardian within 48 hours of an absence.
What To Do When Student Is or Will Be Absent From School:
- Use our online attendance form by 8:30 AM on morning of the absence, send an email to @email, or call the Attendance Line at 703-446-1625.
- Provide name, caller’s name/relationship to student, date/time, and reason for absence. If you know your students ID #, please provide that as well.
- If students will be absent for more than one day, an Attendance Form must be filled out each day.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that contact is made with the attendance office.
- Students are responsible for checking Schoology for assignments missed.
What To Do When Student Arrives Late To School:
- Students arriving to the first block class of the school day, after the 8:10AM bell, must report directly to class. Students arriving after 8:30AM, must report to the Attendance Office for a tardy pass.
- An Attendance Form, note, or phone call from a parent is required for an excused pass to class.
- Students must make contact with all teachers for any classes missed.
What To Do When Student Needs To Leave School Early:
- Prior to 8:10 AM, the student must present a note from the parent or guardian to the Attendance Office. The note must include the reason for leaving school and a contact number for the person writing the note.
- If student does not have a note, then the parent or guardian fill out the online attendance form or call the attendance office. If calling, the Attendance Office will confirm the dismissal.
- Students must check out at the Attendance Office when leaving school and must check back in at the attendance office upon their return.
- Students who leave school without checking out properly will be marked unexcused and may face disciplinary action.
- Students must contact all teachers for any classes to be missed.
Arrangements for a pre-arranged absence must be made at least 72 hours (3 days) before the absence occurs. A note stating the dates and reason for the absence must be presented to their Sub School Office. The student will receive a pre-arranged absence form outlining the conditions related to a pre-arranged absence. The form must be presented to all teachers and the student’s administrator for approval and then returned to the Sub School office. If the absence is not approved and the student does not attend school, then the absences will be unexcused. Be aware that a student with a prearranged absence is expected to be fully prepared on the day of her/his return (i.e. homework and tests) and will assume the responsibility for requesting assignments before leaving.
Attendance and Academy:
- The parent or guardian must notify both SCHS and the academy school for absences.
- Delayed Opening- morning classes cancelled; mid-day and afternoon classes meet.
- Early Closing- morning and mid-day classes meet; afternoon classes cancelled.
- Bell Schedule Change- students will be expected to attend academy classes.
Attendance and Participation in Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Programs:
Students must be in school the entire day to be eligible to participate in any student activities scheduled on that day. Exceptions to this standard may be made with the prior approval of the principal or her/his designee.
In those cases of students who are chronically absent from or late to school, a note from a medical professional may be required in order to excuse an absence/tardy. In addition, students with five or more full-day unexcused absences will be referred to the FCPS Attendance Officer as provided under the Code of Virginia.
Make-Up Work Due to Absence:
- All students should check their teacher’s Blackboard.com sites for assignments.
- Students who are absent one day will take previously announced quizzes and tests and hand in previously assigned work the day they return to class. Assignments made and/or quizzes/tests given in their absence should be made up upon returning to school.
- Students who are absent for multiple days are afforded one day of makeup for each day a class is missed. The student is responsible for conferring with the teacher to arrange a make-up schedule. Again, work previously assigned is due the day of the student's return. (If long-term assignments carry a deadline, as opposed to a due date, students are expected to send the assignment to school if they are absent.)
- In the case of pre-arranged absences, students will deliver to teachers all previously assigned work due during their absence the day they return.
- A student who is absent from class (e.g. for a field trip, medical appointment, excused tardy, or clinic visit) but who is in attendance for any part of the day, is required to hand in assigned work and make up quizzes/tests on that day.
- Under extenuating circumstances, at the discretion of the teacher, an extension may be granted for any of these different conditions. Students have the responsibility for discussing these extenuating circumstances with the teacher.
- For unexcused absences, students are fully responsible for completing any missed assignments. Teachers may assist the student and parent or guardian in identifying missed work, but are not obligated to provide make-up assignments.
Tardy to Class:
Students are to be in their seats when the bell rings to begin the class period. Tardiness may result in a detention with the teacher. Habitual tardiness may also result in other disciplinary action. All school personnel follow Fairfax County Public School regulations for attendance. Please refer to the document Student Responsibilities and Rights Grades K-12 -2601.23P (Page 9) for reference.