In Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) and across the United States, students in grades nine, ten, and eleven will take a Preliminary SAT (PSAT) on October 10, 2018. Ninth grade students will automatically be registered to take the PSAT 8/9, which is specifically designed for eighth and ninth graders. Tenth and eleventh grade students will automatically be registered to take the PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT).
More information about the PSAT NMSQT, PSAT 8/9, and the National Merit Scholarship Program can be found on the College Board: PSAT Home.
Fees and Registration
- Fairfax County Public Schools covers the registration fee for all freshmen to take PSAT 8/9 and sophomores to take PSAT NMSQT
- SCHS will cover the cost for all juniors to take the PSAT NMSQT.
- If a freshmen is interested in taking the standard PSAT NMSQT instead of the PSAT 8/9, please download the SCHS PSAT Registration Form and submit it to SCHS with the non-refundable $20 fee by cash or check made out to SCHS no later than Friday September 14th.
College Board Accommodations
- Accommodations must be approved by the College Board and documentation must meet the criteria outlined on their website.
- Please contact Telia Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 17th for assistance with the application process. Requests for accommodations must be completed and received by College Board by August 21, 2018.
- Ninth grade students will take the PSAT 8/9 test without accommodations in order to gather baseline data for any future College Board accommodations applications.
Students may prepare for the PSAT by visiting the PSAT Practice Tests on the College Board Website.