Governor’s School is a Virginia summer enrichment program designed for highly motivated Current 10th and 11th grade students who are seeking a challenging summer experience.
Programs are offered in the Visual and Performing Arts (Theatre, Vocal Music, Instrumental Music, Dance, Visual Art), Humanities, Math/Science/Tech, Agriculture, Health Science/Medicine, and Mentorships in Engineering and Marine Sciences.
The selection process is extremely competitive. For the academic programs, most students selected rank in the top 10% of their class and have scored in the 90th percentile on standardized measures of ability or achievement tests. VPA candidates are required to compete in a regional adjudication where they will be evaluated on their performance and/or portfolio. These residential programs are housed at various universities around the state and typically run from late June to early August so students must be available during this time.
While it is subject to change, plans are underway at this time to offer an on-campus, in-person Governor's School experience for the summer of 2021.
Students should join the Governor's School Google Classroom in order to access announcements and resources. The Join Code is: oosi4ks
Interested in attending?? Please complete the steps below:
1. Complete the Google Form link below to declare your interest for the 2021 Summer Residential Governor’s School by November 9th, 2020
- The form establishes your contact details for your High School Governor’s School representative. (BE SURE TO USE A NON-FCPS E-MAIL ADDRESS!)
- This will provide district-level communication to both you and your designated school contact to allow for an efficient application process.
2. Fill out the appropriate application. Use the links below to take you to the program applications for the summer of 2021.
This fillable application form needs to be completed and sent to your designated school contact according to the dates below:
- ACADEMICS AND MENTORSHIPS: SUBMIT BY DECEMBER 7, 2020 TO MS. MASLOWSKY. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS (VPA): SUBMIT BY JANUARY 31, 2021 TO MS. FREEMAN. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Links to the applications: (Please note that each program has a unique application)
- 2021 Application for Agriculture (Word)
- 2021 Application for Engineering (Word)
- 2021 Application for Humanities (Word)
- 2021 Application for Marine Science (Word)
- 2021 Application for Math Science and Technology (Word)
- 2021 Application for Medical and Health Sciences (Word)
- 2021 Application Visual and Performing Arts (Word)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our South County Governor’s School Coordinators:
Visual & Performing Arts Programs: Becky Freeman (@email)
Academic and Mentorship Programs: Brittany Maslowsky (@email )
Additional Information regarding the Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s School Programs can be found at: https://www.fcps.edu/node/32439